Mahaska County Courthouse

Community Services: FAQ

What services does the Community Services department provide?

We provide funding for services and programs as well as resource and referral, and care coordination for individuals who meet eligibility guidelines.

Where can I access information about community services and supports?

Please visit the South Central Behavioral Health Region website.

Where can I access social supports and/or a peer specialist?

The Choices is located at 117 1st Ave West Oskaloosa, IA, and can be reached at (641) 673-1421.

Is there a National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in the area?

No. However, NAMI can be reached at and through their website.

How can I apply for food stamps?

You can apply for food stamps through the Department of Human Services website or by calling 1-877-347-5678.

Do you offer Mental Health First Aid trainings and other Mental Health or Disability-related trainings?

Yes, contact (641) 672-3159 for specific information about Mental Health First Aid. Or visit the South Central Behavioral Health Region website to learn about other region sponsored trainings. 

How can I learn more and provide feedback about current mental health and disability services in this area?

You can attend a Local Advisory Council meeting. For meeting dates, visit the  South Central Behavioral Health Region website.